Internal PR Method NotesJanuary 4, 2022
Internal PR method for product development
- Who is the customer?
- What is the customer problem or opportunity?
- What is the most important customer benefit?
- How do you know what customers want?
- What does the customer experience look like?
- The Big Idea is ______________
- The most important benefit to the customer is ____________
Here’s an example outline for the press release:
- Heading - Name the product in a way the reader (i.e. your target customers) will understand.
- Sub-Heading - Describe who the market for the product is and what benefit they get. One sentence only underneath the title.
- Summary - Give a summary of the product and the benefit. Assume the reader will not read anything else so make this paragraph good.
- Problem - Describe the problem your product solves.
- Solution - Describe how your product elegantly solves the problem.
- Quote from You - A quote from a spokesperson in your company.
- How to Get Started - Describe how easy it is to get started.
- Customer Quote - Provide a quote from a hypothetical customer that describes how they experienced the benefit.
- Closing and Call to Action - Wrap it up and give pointers where the reader should go next. You can accompany the press release with a FAQ that answers all of the other business or execution questions so the press release can stay focused on what the customer gets.
Write press-releases in what I call “Oprah-speak” for mainstream consumer products. Imagine you’re sitting on Oprah’s couch and have just explained the product to her, and then you listen as she explains it to her audience. That’s “Oprah-speak”, not “Geek-speak”.
Rule 1: Must be stated at a future point in time where success has been achieved and realized. Press releases at “launch” are good, but a better one is sometime after launch, where true success can be discussed.
Rule 2: Discuss why it was important, often time to customers (or other key stakeholders). Discuss the accomplishments first in terms of why it is important to customers. How did the customer experience improve? Why do customer care? Then discuss other reasons why it was important and key goals.
Rule 3: Set an audacious and clear goal: Articulate a clear measurable results including financial, operating, market share
Rule 4: Outline the principles used that led to success. This is the trickiest, and more important. Outline the hard things accomplished, the important decisions, the design principles that led to success. Discuss the issues that had to be addressed to have success
The future press release is a type of forcing function
https://press.aboutamazon.com/news-releases/news-release-details/amazon-web-services-launches-amazon-s3-simple-storage-service | https://archive.ph/LPvpz
http://www.quora.com/What-is-Amazons-approach-to-product-development-and-product-management | https://archive.ph/MOhhX
https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/10/02/painless-functional-specifications-part-1-why-bother/ | https://archive.ph/4hNIP